Advertisement


 photo home_zps7099c06e.png photo home_zps7099c06e.png photo home_zps7099c06e.png photo home_zps7099c06e.png photo home_zps7099c06e.png

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Life Update: My First Week at University

Today's post will be a bit of a personal one as it doesn't fall within the typical fashion or beauty based posts that I normally blog about. Most of you probably didn't know that I finished my first week, or three days actually, of post secondary education yesterday. I thought I'd share my experience with those who are curious and thought that this could be something I could look back on!



Honestly, I used to be so much in love with school during junior high but I guess things shifted a little when I got to high school and felt uninspired by my teachers and fellow classmates. I highly suggest anyone who's in school to surround themselves with individuals who are there to support and push you to reach your fullest potential! Find things and people that inspire you, and try your best not to fall into slumps just because you can. Stay driven!

 I guess you could say that in a lot of ways, I "discovered myself" in high school as those three years were the ones where I, as cliche as it sounds, realized who my real friends were and the types of people that I should avoid. Anyways, I've come to realize that I'm in many ways a push over. I fell into slumps just because I could and didn't try as hard as I could have because I had the option not to. Over the three years I've selected and created an exclusive circle of friends that I very dearly depended on so entering University where everyone would be going into different faculties was extremely difficult for me. It scared me, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to follow my best friends into their selected faculties just because I wanted to be with them, to support them, and to have them support me in an academic sense. I knew that I had to do what was right for me, and what I wanted to be seen doing in 4, 6, 8.... years time.

The ending of summer and the approaching of September 3rd was something I wasn't willing to face. In so many ways, I was ready for school. I had my schedule, school supplies, a new laptop.. but in other ways I really wasn't. Was I ready for an extremely heavy work load? Was I ready to pick up my slack and retire my procrastination for good? Was I ready to meet new people and put myself out there to receive the best education and campus experience ever? Nope, I really wasn't. I wasn't entering my classes knowing I'd make friends right off the bat and that I'd have new people to be with during breaks but I wasn't expecting people to be so cold. In 3 days time I learned that you have to make what you want happen, and that just sitting alone with two empty seats next to you won't draw a new potential best friend. Even though I see so many familiar faces on campus, and that lectures fall just under the hour, I've never felt so disconnected and in a lot of ways, alone.

I'm sure these are the feelings that follow the fresh meat status that I get for being a first year student on campus so I'm sure things will pick up and hopefully I'll learn to love the aspects of University that I'm still not sure about; the 10 minute walks to and from, the huuuuuge crowds, English class, burning calves..... In a lot of ways I'm excited for what the next few years hold and I can't wait to "rediscover" myself and definitely do a lot of growing.

7 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! ;__; I felt the same in my first year, and honestly... I feel the same now too. It's pretty depressing. Honestly though, I think the first part of year 1 uni was the hardest - it gets a LOT easier. Good luck, Cat! :) <3

    Junniku blog [Click!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw June, thanks a ton! Hopefully we will both be able to feel not so gross about university! Good luck to you too! :)

      Delete
  2. I think it will be more enjoyable as time goes by, I think its hard to make lasting friends, besides the "in-class" type friends. Hopefully you'll enjoy uni life this year, are you taking stats and math? I think those are the type of classes where I felt the most isolated lol. Please tell me why it had to snow today, totally ruined my mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully! and yea i agree but i seriously need some in class friends LOL yea i am! 151 and 113 this term. i know what you mean i was either freezing my butt off or sweating from all the layers :(

      Delete
    2. omg do you take the 151 class at 9 or 12? I usually sit into my friends stats class at 12, I might go to the one at 9 on friday if I'm not too tired from my 8am class. I actually enjoyed stats better then calc, but I'm pretty glad I got them both over with in my first year. Yeah such a hassle to take off my jacket and have to put it back on after class. Please bring on the sunshine, please.

      Delete
    3. 12 at etlc!!! omg this is craziness. UGH calc is seriously kicking my butt rn, i took it in high school but i seriously dont understand what the heck my prof is saying :( what kind of courses are you taking this year??

      Delete
  3. OMG i was in that class like not today, but on Wednesday. I highly doubt I could see you though since its pretty crowded. But my friend just switched into the earlier one at 9 so I won't be going to the one at 12. Yeah I have a friend taking calc and I'm just glad I don't have to go through it again. Its ok, I think you will slowly get what he's saying, or you just need to put some extra effort on your own time. I'm basically taking Economic classes all next term, and right now I just have Anthro, Classics, music. Its because I decided to go into business the next year instead of majoring in Economics. I don't want to end up minoring in math for Econ.. so I think its better to go into business instead. So I just need a competitive GPA, and I have all the Pre req for business so this year will be pretty chill. Even though I'm mad that I will be wasting this year a bit.

    ReplyDelete